Our Organic Farm in Co. Westmeath, Ireland

 A Little History

enjoying a rest between feeds at lough Owel

enjoying a rest between feeds at lough Owel

The history associated with the Captians’ Hill is that Turgesius a Viking Chief active in Ireland, and founder of Dublin was drowned in Lough Owel having been rolled down this hill in 845. The sole reliable record of Turgesius is a report of his death in the Annals of Ulster.The first golf course in Mullingar was on this land .It was a nine hole course and the ball was payed across the railway.There are a number of ring forts on the land we farm and the lake shore is a designated natural heritage area.

We’re Organic

Martin’s mother was a keen farmer and kept a herd of Jersey cows when the family were young. She often remarked on the dreamy eyes of her cows and she had a great fondness for them.

Having farmed the land conventionally for many years a decision was made to convert to organic farming in 2009. There was a two year conversion period and we were certified as an organic farm in 2011.

lough Owel Lodge  in the 1950

lough Owel Lodge
in the 1950

enjoying the sunshine

 

The farm at Lough Owel Lodge.

We have a sucker herd and a flock of sheep. Hay and silage are made during the summer. Our home is also home to our resident Donkeys “Sonny and Cher often seen enjoying the chat with our guests. Boots and coats are available if required. This is a working farm and whilst we invite guests to have a look around, we must however always be mindful of farm safety and always ask us before going out on the farm.

 

This Website is part funded by Westmeath Local Enterprise Office.